Live Brum relaunches
We’re delighted to announce that Live Brum has just relaunched. It doesn’t look dramatically different but it’s been completely rebuilt from the ground up. There are many new features but the thing you should notice immediately is the improved speed.
Live Brum is much faster now. Really fast.
When you want to know what’s on then you want to know now (trying saying that three times fast). Waiting around, even for a few seconds, becomes deeply annoying. You want to be able to casually click around, to genuinely browse the site and now you can. As long as you are on a reasonably good internet connection, pages should load almost as fast as you can click.
So what’s new?
We’ve added a few new features too. Here’s a small sample.
- You can now filter any day’s events by genre.
- The search is much improved – you can search by distance now. You can also search past events.
- We have a fancy new short link for the site. So, social media users and those who just don’t like typing, behold lb1.co. Use as you please
- Events have new short links making it easier than ever to share a link on social media
- Venues have maps now
And, after 4 years of people asking, one more tiny improvement.
- If you hover over the features on the home page you get up/down buttons so you can quickly scroll through events. Sorry it took so long.
More more more
- One week from now we’ll be opening the site up to anyone to post events. This was possible before but not much fun for any of us. It is now easy, straightforward and obvious. To add events to Live Brum just sign up and get started. (from Monday 21st May).
- One week from now you will be able to create your own custom searches. These can be created from a combination of genres, venues, search terms and distance. There are some examples on the home page now or just go straight to some example Digbeth listings.
Allbrum.co.uk is retired for now. All requests to album.co.uk are redirecting to Live Brum.
The regional variations have bitten the dust too. The maintenance was just too much. However we have a replacement…. custom searches!
So while moseley.livebrum.co.uk is no more, livebrum.co.uk/custom/moseley is new and shiny and delivering better data than it’s forebear ever did.
From next Monday you can create your own custom listings.
Developers, feed consumers
Your old RSS feeds should still work just as they always did but they are going away.
In the next couple of weeks the site will move over to a new format for feeds. We’ll be using .atom in future. For a little while both formats will exist side by side but the old RSS versions will disappear eventually. More on this in due course. You will get several weeks to make the change so no need to panic right now.
Live Brum also now has .json feeds. Again, more on this in a future post but feel free to go play.
If you find something wrong or broken then do, please, let us know and we’ll try and fix it as soon as we can. This is all new code and there’s bound to be a few things we’ve missed.
We’ll introduce you to other aspects of Live Brum in future posts but this hopefully gives you a flavour of where we’re at. Enjoy.